White Lily flatbread (naanish)
- In a bowl, combine yeast, honey and warm water(90F). stir until dissolved and let sit until frothy (5mins). Once frothy, whisk in the oil, yogurt, egg until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next pour the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue to add flour, a half a cup at a time, until you can no longer stir with a spoon
- At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 mins, adding small amounts of flour as necessary to avoid sticking. You will end up using between 21/2 to 3 cups total. Dough should be very soft but not sticky. Avoid using too much flour.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise until double in size (30-45 mins)
- Gently flatten the dough into a disc and cut into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Heat a large castiron or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Working with one at a time, roll each ball until its ¼ inch thick (about 8 inches in diameter)
- Place rolled out dough in the skillet with a thin layer of olive oil, until the bottom is golden brown and large surface bubbles have formed ( 2-3mins) flip over and repeat on the final side.
- Repeat step 8 until all cooked, stacking the cooked bread on top of one another and wrapped with a kitchen towel to keep warm.
2 tsp dry active yeast
½ cup warm water
2 ½-3 cups all purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg